The Wolfsburg Castle Municipal Museum invites visitors to take a tour of Wolfsburg Castle's 700-year history and the city's 80-year history. Visitors are accompanied by museum guides who offer insights into the generally inaccessible representative rooms of Wolfsburg Castle, including the Garden Hall, the Court Arbour, the Fireplace Room and the Hunting Hall. On walks through the gardens and parks, their development is explained in the context of the castle's history.
Tours can be booked on individual topics or in combination, for example the palace and the history of the city. The staff of the city museum will be happy to provide more detailed information and advise on the selection.
The beginnings of Wolfsburg Castle date back to the Middle Ages, when the Lords of Bartensleben built a defense tower on this site at the beginning of the 14th century. A good three centuries later, this complex was rebuilt into a castle in the style of the North German Weser Renaissance. The garden hall, the court arbor, the fireplace room as well as the hunting hall with its beautiful wall stuccos are visible signs of this era.
In 1742 the von Bartensleben family died out in the male line. It was Anna Adelheit Catharina Reichsgräfin von der Schulenburg who, as the daughter and only heiress of the last Bartensleben lord of the castle, formed the link between the former and the new owners, now from the family of the Counts of Schulenburg-Wolfsburg, and was the only woman in the 700-year history of the castle to control the destiny of the castle and its inhabitants.
During the city-building phase under the National Socialists, large parts of Schulenburg's estate were integrated into the construction areas of the Volkswagen factory and the new city. The family of the Counts of Schulenburg-Wolfsburg then moved into a newly built castle in Altmark and returned to the Wolfsburg region in 1945.
After the end of the Second World War and the renaming of the city to "Wolfsburg", the former aristocratic seat served, among other things, as a refugee home. Since the early 1960s, the city of Wolfsburg itself has been the owner of the castle: it was decided to use the building complex with the adjoining coach house for art and culture. Under the name "Schloßstraße 8," the same as the postal address, artists moved into studios and sometimes apartments here, including the well-known architectural photographer Heinrich Heidersberger. The Kunstverein Wolfsburg and the Städtische Galerie Wolfsburg were given rooms for their collection and temporary exhibitions. The Wolfsburg Castle Municipal Museum first found its home in the castle's vaulted cellar and since 2000 in the half-timbered building of the Remisen.
The gardens of Wolfsburg Palace reflect a good five centuries of Wolfsburg Palace and European garden history: the so-called Baroque garden refers to the era of absolutism and, with its symmetrical pathways, specific flower choreography and typical boxwood trimming, shows the social concept of political autocracy and the domination of nature by man. It is no longer preserved in its original design. Today, a baroque arrangement with flower borders, a rear theater and the former tea pavilion invites visitors to linger.
The English landscape garden, today's palace park, was a counter design. This park was laid out in the second half of the 18th century as a landscape modeled on nature with asymmetrical pathways, meadows and wooded trees.
The castle park with a large lawn, its variety of plants, artistically designed rose beds and modern works of art still delights walkers, sunbathers and picnic lovers today.
The permanent exhibition of the City Museum focuses on the difficult conditions of Wolfsburg's reconstruction after the Second World War, the creation of "normal" urban infrastructures by the administration and the Volkswagen factory, and the gradual formation of a home identity for the many Wolfsburgers who had come from elsewhere. Memories of this "wild period of reconstruction" in the 1950s and 1960s are evoked by some rather garish exhibits, such as a penguin pin from the penguin milk bar, a tefifon or a completely preserved hairdressing salon.
In 1938, the foundation stone was laid for the modern automobile plant to build the Volkswagen, and in the same year the town of the KdF car was founded near Fallersleben, which was renamed in 1945 after the 700-year-old Wolfsburg Castle on the site.
The city museum in the Remisen is dedicated in its permanent exhibition and in the documentation about the National Socialist tyranny to this important chapter from the founding period of the factory and the city.