• en
    • en
    • de
Filter Tags
Filter Tags
  • Internal pages
  • News
  • Documents (PDF)
  • External pages
  • All results

Change motor vehicle license plate - after theft or loss of a license plate

  • General information

    If you have had a license plate stolen or lost it, you must report the theft or loss to us and apply for a new license plate. Your vehicle will then receive new license plates with a different license plate, i.e. with a different letter-number combination. The old license plate will be blocked.

    Do not forget:

    You must also report the theft to the police. Do this as soon as possible - for your own safety.
    It is possible to assign a license plate of your choice to the vehicle for a fee - provided the license plate is free and available. Information on availability, as well as the possible license plate combinations, can be found on the Internet at Wunschkennzeichen - Online.

    If you still have the license plate but it is no longer legible, you can have the license plate replaced and keep the license plate. More about "Replace motor vehicle license plate due to illegibility".

  • Requirements

    • License plate has been lost. At least one license plate is missing from your vehicle, for example because it was stolen or because you lost it.

  • Required documents

    • Identity card or passport with registration certificate
    • Vehicle registration document / registration certificate part I
    • Vehicle registration certificate / registration certificate part II / operating license (for vehicles not subject to registration)
    • Proof of a valid main inspection according to § 29 StVZO. Main inspection report: The test report on the last main inspection must only be submitted if the due date for the next main inspection is not stated in the vehicle registration document or the registration certificate Part I.
    • Notification protocol from the police in the event of theft of the license plate(s). If the license plate(s) has/have been stolen, a report of the theft must always be made to the police before going to the registration authority. The report protocol must be presented here.
    • If available: the other license plate. If only one license plate is missing from your car, please bring the other one with you.

    If applicable, additionally in case of loss report is required:

    • by proxy / representative:

    issued power of attorney (form see below) including personal document of the authorizer and the authorized representative

    • for companies (GmbH, AG, OHG, KG, UG haftungsbeschränkt, foreign legal form):

    Current excerpt from the commercial register, current business registration, power of attorney of the managing director or authorized signatory or personal appearance of the managing director / authorized signatory and their identity card / passport

    • for associations:

    Excerpt from the register of associations; identity card or passport and power of attorney of the designated representative(s)

    • for civil law companies

    Complete overview of the shareholders (usually shareholders' agreement); power of attorney and declaration as to which person the registration is to be made out to (confirmed by signature of all shareholders) as well as the identity card / passport of the shareholder as to whom the registration is to be made out to.

  • Fees

    Fees will be charged in accordance with the Fee Regulations for Road Traffic Measures (GebOSt) from an amount of 27.90 euros. The specific fee amount can only be determined on site based on the submission of the complete documents.

    Additional costs for the creation of license plates are not included and will not be charged by the vehicle registration authority.
    If there are any fee arrears, these must be paid on the day of registration in accordance with the Motor Vehicle Registration Requirements Act, otherwise registration of the vehicle will be refused.
    If there are tax arrears, these must be paid at the relevant main customs office. Registration can only be carried out after this.

  • Legal basis
  • Further information

    • Replace motor vehicle license plate due to illegibility

  • Responsible office

    Citizen Services

    City Hall B, Room 015

    Phone: 05361 28-1234

    Fax: 05361 28-2090

    Send e-mail

    Book an appointment

    You can also use this service at the administrative offices in Fallersleben and Vorsfelde.

  • Forms
  • By using this function, you agree that the data may also be transferred to third countries, outside the European Economic Area, without an adequate level of data protection (especially USA). It is possible that authorities may access the data without any legal remedy. You can revoke your consent at any time. Further information: Privacy policy